Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you have a template that I can use to place my art?
- The template download access is on the "Print Services" portion of our site, on the right hand side. Create your log in account so you can easily log in to retrieve your account information and download templates the next time. You may want to also download the "Preparing Artwork" information available on the same page which outlines how to set up your file.
- What are my paper choices?
- Our standard stocks for most packaging products, included in pricelist pricing, are Chipboard and Stumptown Printers Kraft Duplex (an uncoated paper that is white on one side, brown chipboard on the other). Both are 100% recycled, as are the paper upgrade options. We offer a variety of papers at additional cost. You can see on-line swatches of these stocks on the "Process" portion of our Home page or through the right hand menu on the "Print Services" page.
- Do you offer graphic design?
- We do not currently offer design services, but there are some recommendations of designers we've worked with on our "Links" page.
- How do I get a barcode?
- You can get a barcode through your disc manufacturer, or purchase it through an on-line UPC code vendor. You can then include the image to be printed in your artwork, or we can make stickers for you if you only want a barcode on a few pieces.
Back to top
Placing An Order
- How long will my job take?
- We are normally on a 12-16 business day (3-4 week) turnaround, but it depends on when your job comes in. It's a good idea to call ahead to confirm scheduling. In order to begin your job we need your final artwork, a 50% deposit on the job, and all job order details confirmed.
- Does printing include CD printing?
- Our prices are for packaging only. We do not currently offer disc replication in house. We do have a relationship with a disc manufacturer and can manage replication for runs that are 1000 and over. There are a number of other good disc manufacturers we recommend and with whom we have done a lot of business. All are listed on the links page of our website. You can have the discs shipped directly to us if you want us to insert them while we assemble your package.
- What is the best way for me to get my art files to Stumptown Printers?
- We recommend you go through the process of getting an estimate and then placing an order through our "Print Services" page. We give you an option to upload your art to our .ftp server or you can e-mail files if they are smaller than 10MB. Of course, if you prefer to mail us a disc, that's fine, too.
- Do you work with international customers?
- We're happy to work with international customers. The biggest issues are always shipping cost and money transfer. We ship via US Postal Service Priority Mail, which is the least expensive option we have. It usually takes 6-10 days in transit. For payment, the easiest is to use PayPal for money transactions, but we can also do a credit card over the phone long-distance, or you can mail an international money order.
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- For print orders: We can take all credit card payments through PayPal; Visa, Discover or MasterCard by phone; checks or money orders; and cash.
For store orders: We can take all credit card payments through our website; or for walk-in customers we take Visa, Discover, MasterCard, checks, money orders, and cash.
- Can I come in to look at samples? Or can you send me some?
- Of course! It's always helpful to have real samples in hand so you can decide on the package, print process, and paper that will work best for you. Just use the Mailing List link on the home page, or order specific samples through our "Print Services" pages. You will be charged shipping & handling only. If you are local, you can always stop by to look at samples and take a standard sample package home with you.
Back to top
- Can we print on both sides of the paper? Does it cost extra?
- We print on a flat sheet (see the templates on the "Print Services" page (menu on right hand side) and then die cut and glue them (if required). If you want to print on the other side (inside) of the paper, it is the cost of an additional run for each color.
- Can you do 2 sided letterpress printing?
- Yes, we can print on 2 sides of the paper with both the letterpress and offset techniques.
- What is the difference between Letterpress and Offset Printing?
- The brief on offset vs. letterpress: Offset is lithography, and is planographic (it sits on top of the page); letterpress is a relief printing process and the image makes a slight deboss into the paper (like a woodcut). There is more information about these processes on our Home page under "Process".
- Do you offer screenprinting?
- We offer offset or letterpress printing only at this time.
- Can you print T-Shirts or Stickers?
- We recommend you contact a screenprinting shop for these services.
- Is black ink considered a color?
- Yes, we print black the same way we print any other ink color.
Back to top
- What would be the cost for a full color print job?
- Full color refers to four color or CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) printing. You will need to account for the base price of 1 color on any style package, plus 3 additional colors. At this time we are only taking on a very limited number of full color jobs. We specialize in spot color work, and can refer you to other printers if full color is what you are after.
- Does it cost extra to flood or "paint" the sheet with ink?
- Yes, we do have extra charges for heavy ink coverage. The cost varies depending on the artwork, based on labor and materials needed to give you the best final printed piece.
- Is there a printed booklet also included with this packaging or are we on our own with that?
- We print booklets, but that is a separate item -- you should be able to find the pricing for those on our price list or through the Get An Estimate calculator. We offer folded inserts as well as stapled booklets. All of our inserts are designed to fit inside our packages, so they may vary a little from jewel case insert sizes.
- Does your price include shrink wrap?
- We offer recyclable, resealable clear poly bags to wrap your packages in—a classy and responsible option instead of shrink wrap. The cost of these bags vary by product and size.
- How much do I save if I assemble the package myself?
- For those packages that include assembly in the price, if you choose to fold and glue the packages yourself, you save anywhere from 20 to 45 cents a piece. The best way to calculate your savings is to use our Get An Estimate calculator and check the option to assemble the packages yourself to see how much you save.
- If I have you fold & glue the packaging, but decide to stuff the discs and liner notes myself, what kind of discount can I get.
- The insertion of up to two items is included as a free service as we assemble the packages. There is no additional discount for stuffing your packaging yourself, except that you will save on shipping cost because your boxes will be lighter with no discs inside it!
- Do you give discounts for non-profit organizations?
- We do have a limited budget for non-profit discounts. In order to be considered, write & send us a proposal and we'll discuss it at our next Co-op meeting.
Back to top
- Can I see a color proof?
- We always provide a .pdf (digital) proof of your project, and you can order a digitally output paper proof if you wish. All proofs are for content only and are not a 100% accurate representation of color.
- Can you send me a sample of the job when it's on press so I can see what it looks like on the paper I chose? Can you send me one copy of the printed piece before I decide to run them all?
- We are unable to set up your job just to run a couple sheets, then tear it down to print another job. Once it's on press, we will run the complete job. If you are local or able to make it to our shop, we can arrange a press check so you can see the job on press.
- Do you charge for press checks?
- No, we don't charge for press checks. There will be charges if you want us to change the ink color after we already have it set up, or if you have film/plate changes.
Back to top
- Do you sell blank packaging?
- Yes, we manufacture a limited number of our packages for sale as blank items for you to decorate/print on yourself. All our available blank items can be viewed in our on-line store (or you can stop by our shop to check them out).
- Do you have any of your packages in black paper?
- We currently only manufacture those packages that are shown on our store page. Most are made of our brown Chipboard or the duplexed white & kraft paper. We are starting to slowly release new blanks made with black paper, so check our store to see any new offerings.
- What kind of glue is best for assembling the blank packaging?
- We recommend using a hot glue gun and high temperature hot glue. Most other adhesives (white glue, paste, tape, glue sticks) will not hold up over time. The glue guns and hot glue sticks are easily available through us, or at your local hardware or art & craft supply store.
- Do you offer quantity discounts for blank packaging?
- Most of our blank packaging are discounted if you purchase more than 1500 pieces at a time. Please call or e-mail for discounted rates.
- Can I run the blank packaging through a computer ink jet or laser printer?
- We wouldn't recommend trying to feed our doublethick paper stocks through your home computer's printer. It will jam up the works and you will be sad.
Back to top
Employment & Internships
- Do you offer internships?
- We are not currently offering internships. If you want to send a resume and letter of introduction/intent we will keep it on file and let you know when the next opportunity arises.
- Are you hiring?
- Check our news page/blog for any recent job postings (http://news.stumptownprinters.com).
Back to top